Sunday, January 20, 2013

Holding Hands with the Holy Spirit


Holding Hands with the Holy Spirit (Part 1 in a 4 part series)

Not quite a year after my Son was born I was inspired by several people to participate in a local Religious Encounter Weekend for women.  I attended the 3 day weekend and I felt even more refreshed and restored. 

The following year I was asked to join them again only this time as a Table Leader.  This meant that I would keep conversation at our table going and always try to keep everyone at our table involved.  Our goal was to make sure everyone knew they were welcome and we were happy they gave up their weekend to be with us.  We wanted everyone to know they belonged with us.

Prior to the actual event we met as a group on several occasions to pray for all involved in the weekend.  We would also listen to various talks being presented and critique them.  It gave the people who were talking a chance to practice prior to the event.

I had missed the first couple of meetings due to prior commitments so I felt a little left out when I was finally able to attend the third meeting.  This meant I missed out on the initial introductions.  Most people there were already familiar with each other or had known each other on a personal level from previous experiences together.

At the close of the evening we gathered together in a circle, held hands and bowed our heads as we said the Lord’s Prayer in unison.  As we were praying I felt another hand over mine and that of the woman to my right.  After we prayed I opened my eyes and looked over at her.  I introduced myself and told her the capacity I held for the weekend.  She told me her name was Paula* and that she was giving the “Ideals” talk for the weekend.  Then I asked, “Did you notice anything while we were praying?”  She replied, “You mean our hands?”  She felt it too!  We both had tears in our eyes.  I felt we had actually held hands with the Holy Spirit.  I felt it just as if you and I were holding hands with one another at this very moment -- yet there was ANOTHER hand over ours.

(If you enjoyed this post -- please stay tuned.  I received confirmation that still inspires me to this day.)

"Again I tell you, if two of you join your voices on earth to pray for anything whatever, it shall be granted you by my Father in heaven. Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in their midst."  ~Matthew 18:19-20

Hebrews 2:4
God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Acts 8:15
When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit,

Faith Formation Directives:  The Holy Spirit continues to inspire and guide God’s people.

*Names changed to protect identity


Coming soon ....

Part 2 of 4:  Making the Weekend  (see post of Sunday, February 10, 2013)
Part 3 of 4:  Silent Prayer Partner
Part 4 of 4:  The Penny, A Gift of Spirit

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful experience. :) My first time here...Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you are so sensitive and open to spirit's messages. looking forward to learning more about you and your work through your stories and experiences ;-)

    ReplyDelete